Tuesday, September 23, 2008

6%

Six percent, that's how much a of a difference race could make in this election. At least according to an Associated Press-Yahoo News poll conducted with Stanford University which sought to determine the potential effect of race on Senator Barack Obama's candidacy on election day. They polled 2,227 adults across America and their results tell a sad story. Rather than vote their interests voters are still stuck on race as a compelling reason to vote against Senator Obama. Likewise I'm sure the perception amoung some is that Black people will just vote automatically for the senator because of his skin color...maybe some will, but many are voting their pocket book, their health insurance, their job or their children's future.

The Repugnican (spelling intentional) Party has damn near destroyed America as we know it in the last 8 years and all John McCain needs is 4 more years to finish the job! This reminds me of an encounter I had with a Repugnican congressional candidate outside my daughter's school last week when attending Open House. This gentleman came up to me and introduced himself after seeing me pick up a couple Obama bumper stickers from the table and told me he was a Repugnican running for Congress. He offered me some of his campaign literature and i politely refused to take it. To which he replied, "Well I'm not running against Barack Obama". I froze in my tracks, looked him in the eye, and said, "This has absolutely nothing to do with Barack Obama. Your party has nearly destroyed the country I love and there is no way I will vote for anyone who would even call themselves a Republican. Sir, you've got the wrong party." Several people who were around applauded lightly or voiced their approval in some way.

It just made me angry that our country is falling apart and all this guy thought I cared about was race. Dammit...I'm not blind, yes, I'd love to have a Black President, but more importantly I want a President who looks forward and fights for our future, rather than looking backward as does Senator McCain. I applaud Senator McCain and honor him for his wartime service...he is a true American hero and I'll be the first to take my hat off to him, but that doesn't mean we OWE him the White House for it! If you could stomach the Repugnican National Convention (I watched...have to know what the enemy is up to) it was all about THE PAST. We heard about his service in Vietnam ad naseum, but very little about our future and how he wants to make it better. Isnt' this the same guy who said he didnt' know much about the ecnonomy? And I won't even start on Governor Palin...I will save that for another post of its own.

So if you are in that 6% who would rather vote skin color over your own interests, then go ahead. While you're at it, you might start looking for other nice countries to live in that don't mind taking a few American immigrants, because when the Repugnicans get through with us, we'll be economically, politically and morally bankrupt and America as we knew it will never be the same.!

1 comment:

Trish said...

Ben,

You must have been reading my mind… lately I have heard myself saying if McCain and Palin are elected where will I go to live? I believe that many Americans have found themselves proposing this very same question. Yes it sounds like a pretty ridiculous thought, but it is no more ridiculous than the “6%” or another four years of Republican rule and enslavement. Our best hope for America is to do everything humanly possible to elect a true leader who will serve all of the American people… even the “6%”.

“We must accept finite disappointment, but we must never lose infinite hope.”
Martin Luther King, Jr.